Sunday, April 22, 2012

I am a half-marathoner now :) I have the shirt and the medal to prove it!

                                             

The half-marathon is now in the books!
It was a crazy beautiful experience.
I am planning on doing it next year!
And, I may in two years "walk" a marathon!! Just thinking about that for now.

I walked/jogged the half-marathon in 3 hours and 42 seconds. I WAS SO CLOSE TO UNDER 3 HOURS!!! So, for sure next year, my goal will be under 3 hours!

My pace was 13:48 a mile, which given the longevity of the race for me, I will take it! I did get all hyped up on adrenaline at the beginning and my first mile was 10 minutes, my second mile was 11 minutes. And, I ran those two miles without stopping! Then I did stop at the first water break for quick drink, and off I went.

I learned a lot of things about myself and about running a half-marathon! I know that I am physically strong, and I have a good set of lungs on me, and I have created some super healthy habits that equal a cardio stamina that I am proud of!! I know that I can do hard things and push myself. I REALLY am proud of how well I did considering I had not trained running (just cardio), at least not a serious program. And, remembering back last summer, when I was 50 pounds heavier, and I struggled to jog one minute!! WOW--how far have I come???!!

I "ran" into lots of people I know, either from my days in Cashmere and Leavenworth or even some people from here! It was a lot of fun, and tons of positive energy.

I loved all the people, who cheer everyone on :) I had friends there and strangers, who made me want to just keep going!!

For next year:
I have the goal to weigh 50 pounds less than I do right now, which will put me to my goal weight! Jogging will be SOOOO much easier then :)

I want to run a 12 minute mile average next year! I know I can do that!

I will definitely wear sunscreen, and I will have something that will keep the sweat from getting into my eyes. It was so salty that it totally burned!!

I am going to work on my playlist for running long distances. There were a few times that a slow song came on, when I didn't expect it! Actually I am thinking about getting an i-phone for my birthday this year, and getting the NIKE run application AND having all of my music and playlists available. My friend let me listen to how it talked to her and told her what her exact pace was...COOL!

Also, I plan on eating a different breakfast that will include at least 2 bananas to keep the cramps away! At mile 11, I did get a cramp in my left calve, and I stretched, and then basically just ran with it. But, I know that if I wouldn't have had that darn cramp, I woulda easily made it under 3 hours.

I will wear mole skin on the one place that I got a blister on both feet (thankfully, just a small one on each side!).

Overall, it was a super positive experience and I learned a lot :) I originally thouhght before I got started that I wouldn't ever want to do it again, but for now, I know that I at least want to do that exact race one more time.

P.S. I plan on wearing my medal tomorrow to school!! I am sooooo proud of myself :)

No comments: