Monday, April 7, 2008

Let's catch up!

     Yesterday was a sad day for our family. My grandpa died at 7 a.m. our time, 9 a.m. in Texas. I cannot begin to describe how I feel, but I can just say that I will miss him immensely. I am going to write a tribute to him later on my other blog.
     After my sister called and told me yesterday morning, I pretty much wanted to coccoon into my bed. But, if you knew Grandpa, you would completely understand why I dragged myself out of bed, and out the door.
     I walked from my house to the top of the grade, up Conconully Highway from Okanogan. It was the most beautiful walk ever.
     The weather was just right, no wind, not too cold. It was early, and nobody was out, nobody on the road.
     Walking up the hill, I concentrated on making it all the way to the top. And, so I was sort of on auto-pilot.
     I stopped at the top, looked out at the beautiful valley and said good-bye to Grandpa. I have always said that I feel closest to anything spiritual when I am out in nature.
     Then I headed back down the hill, which I just bawled the entire way down, uncontrollably. As cars passed me, I feared they might stop to see if I was OK, but thankfully nobody did.
     As I came almost to the bottom of the hill, three doves flew out and above my head, and then returned to their roost, cooing at me, calming me. I knew at that moment, my grandpa was with me.
     I stopped crying, and headed home. I know he would be so proud of me for getting up and enjoying the beauty of nature around me.
     I am proud of me for that, too. I want to be healthy. And, I know I am on my way towards that. I will miss him.

No comments: