Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans Day!

     OK, first off...The federal government does not use an apostrophe in Veterans Day. So, I am going with that.
     Yes, the offical day was yesterday...you know, 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. But, we do have a national observance held today.
     This year, for obvious reasons, Veterans Day means more to me. I have always been patriotic and moved by this day, but not like I am now.
      What did I do today? Well, for starters...I slept in. Life has been rather hectic for a couple of weeks, and especially the past few days, and I took advantage of having nobody in the house.
     (The boys are off with their dad at the Seahawks game!)
     Then when I did wake up, I had a cup of yummy coffee, and I went for a walk.
     I appreciate that I live in a country where I can wake up whenever I choose and go for a walk without fear for my safety, and that as a woman I can wear shorts and have my face uncovered.
     Think about that today. Think about the liberty and freedoms you have and why you have them.
     I am including a poem today, and although I have researched it thoroughly, I THINK this is the author, but if I am wrong, I apologize.

"It is the Soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us Freedom of the Press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us Freedom of Speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the Freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial;

And it is the Soldier--who salutes the flag,
Who serves the flag, and
Whose coffin is draped by the flag--
Who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Charles M. Province

No comments: