Sunday, April 1, 2007

It's about time

     So, here's the update. I did not go to the gym yesterday, and I am disappointed. BUT, I did accomplish many other things on my massive "to do" list.
     And, I am planning on going in this afternoon. I even shaved my legs, so I mean business!
     All sorts of things have been happening lately, and I have lots to catch you up on, so this could be a long one.
     We went to a wedding last night, a beautiful wedding. I really could relate to the ceromony's message of "It's about time."
     I get that on so many different levels. And, you would have to know the story behind the couple to understand it's literal meaning last night.
     In my own life, "It's about time" means so many things. It's about time that I take care of myself the way I deserve to take care of myself.
     It's about time I start paying attention to those around me and seeing the messages I am being sent.
     I have three women friends who have all recently suffered some major medical problems.
     One of my friends was diagnosed with diabetes about five weeks ago. She has the Type II that doesn't require daily shots, but she does have to take daily medicine.
     She is eating healthy and really taking care of herself in hopes that she will eventually not have to take the pills anymore.
     Another friend is going in for a hip replacement! She is very young (40ish), and she lives in such pain right now. I can't wait for her to have some relief.
     And, then another woman that I know recently suffered a mild heart attack. She, too, is in her 40s. I was freaking out when I heard, especially because she is very fit and athletic.
     I don't think there is a history of heart problems in her family, and I don't know if it's the sort of heart attack that is related to stress or not.
     It's about time. It's about time women start taking care of themselves FIRST, so they can take care of everyone else around them.
     It's about time that I start giving stuff away. I am doing this, and I am proud of doing this.
     I have planned on several activities that I will not be running anymore. I have started to really think about my life and determine what is really important.
     I had a reader comment about the things I do and why I do them, and the reader wondered if some of the things I do are for acceptance and proving myself worthy to others.
     That really resonnated with me. I have done some major self-reflection about what I do and why.
     To be honest, sometimes I do things ONLY because I think I can do them better than the way they are being done.
     I am really examining what matters and why I am doing whatever I am.
     It's about time that I find some balance. I have also decided that if I choose to do anything new that I must give something away, since I do too much.
     And, I am accomplishing that! It feels really good. It feels right. It's about time.
     It's about time that I realize that which I can control and that which I cannot.
     Then even more importantly, I am realizing that I should not even care about things I cannot change or control.
     That takes a ton of stress out of my life. Don't worry be happy. Don't sweat the small stuff. All of those.
     Last night at the wedding, the comment was made that we spend our first half of our lives learning and the second half living.
     Ahhhh...I get that, too. I am ready to live.

No comments: