Thursday, February 2, 2006

Patience is a virtue, but not mine

     Patience is NOT my virtue!
     Last night I went to bed at 9 p.m. and, surprisingly, not hungry. But, 4:43 came early this morning, especially with a new puppy in my house.
     I slumped out of bed, wiped the sleep out of my eyes, whipped my bushy hair into what looked like a ponytail gone bad, and headed out into the dark morning.
     As I warmed up on one of the exercise machines, several thoughts crossed my mind. First, I realized that the purple onion I nibbled on last night was sweating through my body (GROSS!!), and I greatly appreciated that very few people were working out at 5 in the morning to share in this lovely smell.
     Then, while watching the news sans sound, I saw that the groundhog did see his shadow, and we have six more weeks of winter. That's half of the time for my physique challenge, and when I make it out of this, I am hoping my shadow looks totally different.
     Ahhh . . . the things that run through your mind while you are on the elliptical trainer.
     I played two games of racquetball, and much to my surprise, I still got game! Oh yeah!
     Well, I won both my matches, and the second one I actually came back from a 13-1 deficit to win 17-15. My heart did not explode like I thought it might, although it was working hard and my face was the color of a tomato.
     The bummer of things is that I definitely need to go buy new shoes. I have two blisters already.
     Part of my problem is starting with fervor, going gung ho, and then petering out. I don't want that to happen this time around.
     Oh, and my wrist and racquet arm are already sore, and it is only 6:30. So, my dilemma today is wondering how to balance the desire to work out like crazy and stay injury free.
     How do I exercise in moderation, when I really want to go for it, right now? Did I mention that another wonderful quality I possess is impatience? SIGH . . .

No comments: