Friday, February 24, 2006

Use it or lose it

     The old adage truly connects with our bodies: If you don't use your muscles, you lose your muscles. I am definitely feeling my muscles this week, as I have been working out harder with the weights.
     Well, at least, I have been increasing the amount of weight I am lifting. I have always been told how important weight training is, and logically it makes sense to me.
     In my renewed desire for fitness, I have been researching all sorts of women's health issues. I want to live a healthy life and prevent some ailments that may be in my future.
     According to the Mayo Clinic, regular strength training can help develop stronger bones, control your body fat, reduce your risk of injury, improve your sense of well-being and even help you sleep better at night.
     I definitely want to control my body fat, and that is happening with both my cardio and weight training. I did have my body fat percentage taken at the beginning, and I am looking forward to what it is at the end of the 12 weeks.
     Now that I am getting older I notice that I feel more at risk for injury, especially when I am playing softball or hiking or do more physically exerting activities. So, if having stronger muscles will help my body stay injury-free, I am all for it.
     I completely agree with my sense of well-being improving, as I am happier and have more energy than ever since I have been pounding the pounds.
     And, my sleep is incredible. Of course, I think it is because I am so tuckered out from a long day and from working out so hard. But, I definitely feel like I need less sleep now than before I started exercising.
     Something I am very interested in is developing stronger bones and how that will affect me. Often we look at problems in our future as just that, problems in our future. But, what if we can start solving those in our present?
     Contrary to what many of us believe, osteoporosis is not inevitable for all of us. We can make changes in our lifestyles now to help prevent it. Weight-bearing exercise is one of the steps that will help build stronger bones.
     According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, 44 million women and men over the age of 50 are afflicted with osteoporosis. And, by 2020 the National Osteoporosis Foundation expects that number to jump to 61 million.
     Guess what? I will be 49 in 2020, and I could easily be one of those in that statistic. What if you are already over 50 or definitely will be in 2020?
     The foundation believes it is never too late to protect your bones, even if you are already diagnosed with osteoporosis. Get to work!
     Today, I appreciate my sore muscles.

No comments: