Sunday, February 5, 2006

A Super Bowl survivor

     OK. So, today is Super Bowl Sunday! Super Bowl XL, which of course reminds me of extra-large (instead of the number 40), a size of my clothes I hope to be able to garage sale this summer!
     I heard on the radio the other day that Super Bowl Sunday is only second to Thanksgiving in the amount of food consumed in one day. I am also guessing that the food at Super Bowl parties is more of the junk food variety!
     How about a completely random fact that I just know you need to know? A hot dog from the Seahawk/Panther championship game went for $1,800 on eBay.
     First, thing I thought of when I read that was not how crazy or ludicrous that was, but how yummy those dogs are, and how many millions of calories and fat grams they are. Yes, I feel a bit obsessed.
     To keep me away from the deliciously fat finger foods (including those little BBQ smokies), I have a plan! So, thanks to my buddy Kathy, I am using these little Jell-O molds to make tiny blue and green football helmets and footballs (with sugar-free Jell-O, virtually no calories).
     I am bringing both fat-free Cool Whip and the extra creamy version. I figure if I am going to do well at the party we are heading to, I need to bring some healthy choices. I also am going to plan on eating before we go, so I don't feel so hungry or so tempted.
     I have definitely started to pay attention to the hunger clock in my body, which starts screaming between 3 and 4 p.m. every day. With the Super Bowl party starting only in the early afternoon, I am going to have a good breakfast and a yummy salad right before we leave.
* * *
     OK, so the Hawks were totally cheated out of their win, as the refs made two huge mistakes, but I did not cheat at all on my eating!
     I must admit, I wanted a brownie, and the apple I brought was indeed sweet, but not the same. I also brought an orange, and a huge salad.
     At the end of the game, I noticed that many of the non-dieters who enjoyed all the snacks and food with no restrictions were feeling "bloated" beyond comfort.
     Not me! I felt great, while those around me were feeling miserable. When I returned home, I ate my sugar-free, fat-free chocolate pudding, and it tasted as good as I imagined that brownie to be.

No comments: