Friday, February 3, 2006

Side-splitting pain and some sore muscles, too

     No pain, no gain! I hurt.
     Besides my son taking a wild swing of the racquet, sending the whizzing rubber ball to smack me on my butt (leaving a nice bruise), my muscles hurt.
     Oh, and by the way, I did beat my 16-year-old son at two games of racquetball! I think I surprised my varsity athlete son and, to be truthful, I surprised myself, too! I love the game!
     We even played with my 25-year-old step-daughter, who had NEVER played before. All three of us broke a sweat, but more importantly, had a ball.
     Seriously, I think we burned more calories laughing during our 15-minute RB warm-up. So, this leads me to a couple of important realizations.
     In order to be successful, I really need the support of others, and I need to have fun. Of course, I know that losing weight and making a change in my lifestyle is hard and a ton of work.
     Trust me; my muscles are reminding me of that right now, as I sit here and type, because I know when I try to stand up, I am going to hurt! But, I am hoping one secret to finding what works for me was revealed last night . . . to remember to laugh.
     So far, to my amazement, I am not starving. I have to admit it takes a lot of planning on my part, which means a lot of time.
     And, I actually have noticed a heightened sense of taste. I don't know if that is just in my mind, but what I am eating just seems to taste better and stronger.
     I have noticed, however, that at certain times of the day I am ravenous, and I just want to eat. But, since I have tons of healthy snacks at any easy reach, I am able to overcome what otherwise would be a major moment of weakness.

No comments: