Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Three weeks and 15 pounds later

     Three weeks! I can hardly believe it. WOW! So, today I weighed in, and I have lost 15 pounds!
     Yes, ladies and gentleman that would be three five-pound bags of sugar no longer on my body. I started thinking about that, and if I reach my goal, I will have 20 bags of sugar sitting next to me, incredible.
     As I stepped off the scale, I thought of another goal I have, one that not many people even know about. But, here goes.
     By the time I am 40 (five years from this June), I hope to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa. This is long been a dream of mine.
     Although Mount Kilimanjaro is the largest mountain in Africa, standing as a sentinel between Kenya and Tanzania, it is one that can and is climbed by many people. No extraordinarily special equipment is necessary, more than crampons.
     Mount K stands right at 19,340 feet, and at least today is still snowcapped, but the glacier is definitely receding. Who knows, maybe I will blog about that experience, too.
     Thinking about visiting Africa and climbing the mountain brings me to a new realization. If, when I reach my physical goal, I have a new goal to train for something, I will remain motivated.
     I remember the first time I trained for a triathlon. I worked hard toward the goal of finishing the event, rather than losing weight.
     Recently, my friend Lorri invited my family and me to join her family in an MS walk in Wenatchee to be held in April. I immediately said yes, and we are going to participate in the 8K category.
     Not only will our families be walking together, but we will also be raising money for an important cause.
     This made me think about trying to find other events to enter that will motivate me toward an exercising goal.
     I am looking forward to signing up!

No comments: