Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What a wonderfully long weekend

     I definitely used the extra day off to recharge my batteries. I slept a lot this weekend, including even some naps.
     I learned that I really miss not working out super early in the morning (although it felt worth sleeping in, I think).
     I noticed that when I ride the bike later in the afternoon, it feels harder than it does in the morning.
     I am sure there is a scientific or logical reason for this, but I choose to think that it feels easier in the morning because my body is not totally awake, and so I can fool it into working out for 30 minutes before it even realizes what we've done.
     I did not work out on Saturday, well, at least not at the gym. We went to Wenatchee for shopping. Mega shopping.
     I wished I would've worn a pedometer to track the number of steps, but I know that I earned my miles. Plus, I made up for it on Sunday with a longer workout.
     We spent this weekend with family and friends. It's always nurturing to reconnect with the ones we love, considering how busy everyone is during the week.
     I had a great conversation with my good friend Lori about eating. We talked about how it is all about portion control. That is definitely what is helping me to be successful. I was the queen of super size and seconds.
     We also talked about slowing down when we eat. Another major issue of mine, I don't know why. I have always inhaled my food, and I can only guess that it is related to my crazy, merry-go-round life.
     Now, I don't eat seconds. I try to savor what I am eating, I use the smaller plate for my meals, I try to eat a balanced meal without going crazy with carbs or protein or fat, just balance.
     I try to find little tricks that help me when I am hungry or craving something. I LOVE Coffee Nips. They are so yummy, and they last for so long. I first found out about them reading Susie's blog (thank you).
     (Susie Stops Smoking no longer available.)
     I am really proud that I am figuring out what works for me. I am not someone who can live by weighing my food or counting calories. That feels too cumbersome for my lifestyle.
     Originally I tried to log in my food and calories on a Web site to keep track, and quickly I realized that was just not for me.
     Instead I am listening to my body, and trying to determine what it needs. Am I really hungry? Or am I bored or upset? Am I eating because everyone else is?
     Speaking of which, a salad is calling my name right now. And, yes, my body is saying, "Feed me."

No comments: