Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FAT chick running, and it's all about the shoe, OH how I love shoes!

     Lately I have been enormously interested in running. And, I mean real running, not just an easy jog, but motating at a good speed.
     Of course, I am in the planning of stage of learning how to run. Now, doesn't that sound silly?
      I have been researching the effects of running and also if obese people should run.
     Mostly everything I have read points to a running plan in which a person slowly moves up to the point of running a couple of miles straight.
     Most of the basic programs I have found center around an 8-week plan. One of my favorites is at this site.     I have also found that it's important to have good running shoes, and most people don't even know if the condition of their feet and what sort of shoes they should buy. Unfortunately many of the employees at shoe stores don't really know either.
     I was lucky because when I trained many years ago for triathlons, I had a trainer who helped me figure out which shoes would give me the support my feet needed. This site has a good start. Here is another helpful one, too.
     There is a shoe store chain called Shoes-n-Feet which we there are five locations over near Seattle. This place will even have you walk on a treadmill and videotape your gait to determine what sort of shoe you should be looking for.
     I have also read many outstanding reviews about a place called Super Jock 'n Jill. It definitely seems like the people who work there know their stuff!
     As far as the weight factor, really it's about the pressure on one's joints because of the extra weight.
     You should check out this info and this link as well. I found it all quite intersting.
     Obviously it's sort of a catch 22, in that, if you run, you lose more weight since you burn more calories.
     I have purchased and am waiting for several books about running. The one I am most excited to read is ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer.
     My plan as far as running goes and starting it is that I am going to start in June and have it be more summer goal.
     A couple more plans to begin running that I would like to leave with ya!
     Be healthy!

No comments: