Sunday, April 27, 2008

My trip weekly update!

     This was an OK week for working out, and considering how busy life was with cheer tryouts, prom, baseball games, etc., I feel pretty good about the mileage. I am looking forward to this week being a bit higher though.
Monday = 2 miles walking
Tuesday = 1 mile walking, 7 miles on the recumbent bike (watching American Idol)
Wednesday = 5 miles on the bike
Thursday = 2 miles walking, 5 miles on the bike
Friday = 1 mile walking
Saturday = 2 miles walking
Sunday = 5 miles on the bike
TOTAL = 25 miles
     This week I plan to walk more regularly in the morning, and I am thinking about adding a Cool Salsa aerobics tape that I have.
     Had I added up to 28 miles, I would've been cruising into Vancouver, WA, so even though I am three miles out, I am going to go ahead and blog about Vancouver, since next week I will be able to talk about one of my favorite cities in the United States, Portland!
     When I think of Vancouver, I think of all sorts of things. First, that's where my step-son Michael lived for over a year, while going to college there.
     I also always think about Vancouver, BC, which I have also visited several times. Something I recently found out is that the folks of Vancouver, WA, have periodically considered a name change of their beloved city to something like Old Vancouver or Fort Vancouver. Both the American and Canadian towns were named after the explorer and sea captain, George Vancouver, but ours was discovered first.
     You know, I feel very lucky as one of my history teachers was Dale Lambert, and he wrote the Pacific Northwest History books used in our schools.
     My first long-term sub teaching job was a history gig, and it included a PNW class using that same book (although updated) from which I had studied.
     I am always fascinated by our history here in the Northwest. I think it's more interesting to me because it's younger.
     Anyhow, I have been to Vancouver, WA throughout the years, and it has certainly exploded in growth.
     I have several friends who teach in Vancouver, and curiously all of them English teachers.
     It's nice to roll into the town, and I look forward to heading out and into Oregon. Yeah, Vancouver's the last stop in Washington on my route, nestled on the Columbia.
     So, good-bye Washington!

No comments: