Thursday, April 10, 2008

My adventure continues

     OK, biking and walking across the United States, I am still doing it! Here’s the deal. I did decide to add my walking because some days I just want to get outside. I still need to take my bike in to have a tune-up, so I could actually start riding it, too.
     I have decided that I will update my trip on Sundays. But, since I haven’t in so long, I will do so now (and, then again on this Sunday – there’s some definite motivation to work in some working out this weekend).
     32 miles on March 21st. The following week with walking and biking I logged in another 10 miles, and over Spring Break I added another 11, so that’s 53, and this week so far I have 9 miles, so that’s a grand total of 62 miles on this trip, since March 17th!
     I am now just a few miles from the Lewis and Clark Bridge crossing over the Columbia River and heading back into Washington. I have passed through Westport and Clatskanie.
     A little about Westport, it was named after John West who settled the area in 1850. I just love the history of the Pacific Northwest, and maybe it’s because it is such a young history. Maybe it’s the idea of what the West really symbolized. I have always imagined my life as a pioneer or settler. You can take the Wahkiakum County Ferry from Westport over to Cathlamet, WA.
     I have never been to Clatskanie, but if I were to go, I would want to check out the following. First, the Bradley State Wayside Park, of course, because of its name! But, really it looks like an interesting place to explore with a rich history. It was one of the first pieces of land donated to the Oregon Parks from Fred and Elemar Bradley. And, the views are incredible.
     Lewis and Clark wrote about this place, and they even wrote about its fog!!

You can check out more pics and interesting info at this link: http://www.infinityinternet.com/~englishriver/LewisClarkColumbiaRiver/Regions/Places/bradley_state_wayside.html

     Another place I would definitely want to check out in Clatskanie would be the Delena Yew Tree. This tree is over 100 years old and it’s the largest of its kind in Oregon. It marks the spot where they stagecoach used to stop when going between Astoria and Rainier.
     There you have it. Stay tuned for where we end up on Sunday!

No comments: