Thursday, March 20, 2008

Out in the tules

     I am biking a lot on my recumbent bike. I usually watch the tube and read in between the commercials. I am so into it now, that I am going to take my bike down to the bike shop for a much needed tune-up, and then I am going to start riding outside, too.
     I did walk at lunch today, and since I was feeling like a goofball, I decided to walk around the track the opposite way. This just got me thinking how come we go the way we go around the track. Obviously I think too much! LOL.
     OK, so I admit, I researched the counterclockwise phenomena, and I found some intersting articles, but definitely the most thorough at Wiki Answers, and I am not a huge fan of Wikipedia (too much stuff that's not accuarte), but this is a bit different.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_athletes_run_around_the_track_counter-clockwise
     Anyhow, it makes sense, and I just love thinking about stuff like that!
     Back on track (pun intended). I do have a link for my "virtual" bike trip, and you can check it out at: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/4-7JDS . Go all the way to the bottom to see the map.
     As of yesterday afternoon, I have logged 25 miles, and my next destination at 34 miles will be Knappa, Oregon. So, right now I am tuling along the Columbia River. NICE.
     Quick side note: I don't think tuling is a world, but I did look up the etymology of "out in the tules." Which originates from California, and it means out in the bushes (a tule is a type of bush). And, in particular tules means low, swampy land, often in Northern California. I digress.
      I did find a virtual trip across America that you can log your bike or walking miles, or both. It’s a cool site, but it does go a different route, and it also goes East to West, and I want to go the other direction instead.
     But, I did check it out, and it has cool pictures of where you are. It lets you choose a virtual partner to exercise with and keep track of online. And, it will send you e-mails to remind you of your goals. In addition, it tracks people who make it through a state, sort of like a reader board of walkers/riders. Definitely check it out! http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html .
     Very cool concept, much like my virtual bike ride, but for walking! You can figure out steps, miles, or minutes, and you can log in exponentially (so, you can make the trip more quickly) or in actual/real measurements. http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/webwalkingusa.htm
     OK, so just another reason why technology can be cool!

No comments: