Sunday, March 9, 2008

Some observations

     OK, so I have been Weight Watchering, now making this my fourth day. I have some trends I am noticing.
     Remember there are six of us that started WW together last Wednesday, and I have dubbed us The Six Pack! LOL. I figure we all want six pack abs, and most of us are carrying around kegs.
     Four of us are doing the Flex program, and the other two are on Core. So, I am going to foucs in on the Flex, but as the Core people share with me their experiences I will blog them, too.
     On Flex you get so many points a day, and all of us are right around the 32 point mark(I have 33, I think the highest).
     The first day, two of the gals did not eat very much breakfast and no protein, but two of us did eat a bigger breakfast and made sure we had protein included. The two who didn't had a really TOUGH first day of being VERY hungry and cranky.
     On day two we all settled in and were not feeling hungry. But two of us started feeling really sick.
     Both of us had the flu! We had shakes, FEVER, sore muscles, headache, stuffed noses, sore throats filled with mucus, and felt wiped out.
     Because I am one of those thinkers, I just thought it was weird that two of us were so sick right away. And, so I started some research.
     NOW, the two of us that were sick...we didn't eat hardly any fruit as compared to the other two. SO, if you think about it, we had VERY little sugar, if any, in our bodies for two days.
     I found out that you can have severe sugar withdrawals, and people can actually be sugar sensitive. The information out there is AMAZING! And, basically a person experiencing sugar withdrawals...get this...has flu-like symptoms!
     I have personally known several people who have changed their eating and then ended up really sick in the first few days!!! It's totally like a detox.
     Rick just didn't believe me that I could be detoxing from sugar and that I must have the flu or allergies, because he said that I didn't eat that much sugar, which is partly true. I just don't think he realizes how much sugar is in everything we eat. And, I may be a sugar sensitve person, and I just didn't know it!
     According to everything out there, sugar sensitive people often are creative, full of energy and passion, impulsive, emotional, driven, can have a short fuse, etc. It's about biochemistry, and often children of alcoholics are found to be sugar sensitive. Fascinating.
     Now, it could just be coincidence. I could be actually getting the flu or a cold or my allergies kicking in.
     I did eat a bunch of fruit Friday night and then Saturday morning, the shakes, fever, and sore muscles were gone. BUT, I swear I felt like I was going to die Friday during the day and evening!!
     I also thought there was no way a person could have a fever related to sugar withdrawal, but in fact, low sugar can cause a fever.
     I feel totally better, other than a bit of a cough (which really could be allergies).
     Moving on to another observation. ALL of us have a tough time eating our points allowance, and it is really important that we do. In addition to our daily points, we also receive 35 floater points a week. We can eat these at once (go out on the town for a special night) or use a little each day (have a SMALL - ironically known as a TALL- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino at 7 points for 5 days), or even not use them at all.
     So, I have noticed that we are all WAY under our points, probably averaging 6 points under a day, and with no plans to use our 35 this week.
     I think that is mental, and we are HOARDERS, afraid of impending doom, i.e. being hungry! I really did better yesterday (only 3 points under), but I know if we don't meet our points, then we won't lose weight because our body will go into starvation mode and store everything that goes into it.
     I did plan out all my meals for the week and enter them in online yesterday. I think this will keep me on track! However, I admit that each day I was still under 2-4 points of my allotment.
     Bottom line observations: Make sure to eat protein and a hearty breakfast. Eat natural sugar via fruits! Plan out and eat all of your points!

No comments: